Tuesday, December 6, 2011

11 tools for learning

Tool #1:
Creating my Voki and embedding it into my blog was fairly easy for me because I have had experience creating and posting them on websites in college. Creating this blog in itself was also farily easy because me and technology get along great!
Tool #2:
Participating in a PLN to me means that, you are giving constructive criticism or even compliments on other peoples blogs, just as you hope others would do for you! You are learning from other people the types of things they put in their blogs, resources, websites, curriculum ideas, etc. and other people are learning from your blogs as well. I am more of a positive type person, rather than a constructive criticism (Because it is my first year :) ) So I find it better when you give compliments to other people on the progress they are making, and compliments are always a good way to publicly acknowledge someones accomplishments. 


Tool #3:


Being able to easily stream videos into anything technologically is one of the best sources of information to share with your students. I found that each of the websites for video streaming were all useful in different ways, but the easiest one to actually embed into your blog would have to be youtube. As far as copyrighting, I was already aware that teachers could use pretty much anything on the internet to teach their students a concept as long as they are not calling it their own. Also, students need to be sure not to copy things they research word for word. They need to summarize their findings into their own words. Having a dropbox where you can share pictures or even resources that you have found or made is a great tool to have for your students as well as fellow teachers. It is a way to have the students already have access to pictures of what they are learning about already at the tips of their fingers, without having them search for them through google.


Tool #4:


Clearly, with Google Docs, you can share within your team or department resources, presentations, flipcharts, pretty anything you find useful in your classroom with them. I found the Google Apps to be very useful because it gives you so many different resources that you can implement in your classroom and they are all seperated into different categories! I am excited to use Google Earth and Panoramio with my students!


Tool #5:


I chose Wordle and Tikatok to put into my blog. I think Wordle is a fun way to create a poster using all the different words that the students learn in a unit. At the end of a unit you can ask the students to create their own wordle of all the words they can define or describe to you, which could be a way to assess their learning. (My Wordle is located in my class blog under Science!) I chose Tikatok because I think it is a fun way for the students to create their own books over the computer. At the end of the year you can show their parents the creations they have made and see if they would like to purchase one of the books they wrote.

Tool #6:

One of the tools I chose was Google Docs, https://docs.google.com/a/springbranchisd.com/leaf?id=0Bxk8lKZTTi07Y2FjODMzY2MtNzY0Yy00YjMxLTg2NTYtODgwMDgzMzFkNzFm&hl=en_US , and I made a flipchart and was able to share it with my team without having to physically email and attatch it to them! They simply could just access it through this tool which I thought was pretty cool! The other tool I chose was, wallwisher! This was a very cool website and it was so easy! It is a good way for me to get feedback from my students on lessons I have just taught or to get the students ideas on how I can improve their learning! Here was the wall I made about our Christmas party! http://www.wallwisher.com/wall/mscase

Tool #7:

Content Objective: TSW
research skills and electronic communication, with appropriate supervision, to create new knowledge.
When to implement: I plan to implement this into my classroom before the end of the year and depending on how it works out, next year as well.
Tools to use: Skype
The Plan: I plan to use Skype to have the students either receive peer tutoring with another class (same grade or higher grade), or give peer tutoring to another student. If the strategies I am teaching any student are not working, maybe a peer tutor can help them more than me, or even some of my higher students can give their strategies or ideas to another struggling student.
Who I plan to peer tutor with: I plan to either group up with another grade level in the school or with my friend who is a 2nd grade teacher as well in Cy- Fair. I really think the students can benefit from both.

Tool #8:

I found that the netbooks and the itouches will be useful in my classroom for research and to help reinforce the content taught to the students throughout the year! I plan to manage the devices by having the students use both the netbooks and the itouches during their workstation time. During Language Arts workstations they are to only doing those types of websites or apps and the same goes with Math workstations. They have a list of websites they are allowed to access during each of those times as well as their technology guidelines. If a student is not following those guidelines, they are to change their conduct and put either source of technology away and write me a letter about what a better choice might have been.

Tool #9:
I think that technology is important to implement into our everyday curriculum because it keeps the students engaged and wanting to learn! If we just gave them worksheets all day they would be bored and not be willing to learn!
We need to hold our students accountable for their actions while they are in workstations because that is the time we use to work with small groups, whether it is with guided reading groups or our low groups in other content areas. Mangahigh and Thinkfinity I found my students to like during L.A and Math workstations! I started to hold them accountable for their learning by having them write in their journals everything they did in workstations that day in complete detail!
My students LOVE the stack the states app! I have them go sit over by the map I have hanging up on my wall or using my Scrambled States of America book to answer the questions about the different states! Another app I found my students to enjoy is splash math 2 for 2nd grade. It covers place value, number sense, addition, subtraction, time, measurement, and money. They have different levels the students can play on (easy, medium, and hard) and they are able to play under their own names!
Other ways I believe a student can use an itouch in the classroom is to search the internet! It is not just for playing games, but can be used as a research tool as well! They can go to the internet, google earth, there is sky view, all the different ways that they can explore the earth!

Tool #10:

First off, I want to make sure my students understand that the internet is not used to be mean to another person. It is used to learn and collaborate with other people for a greater purpose, and in their case, that is to learn! I would also make sure my students are aware that if they are not acting like good digital citizens, then they are simply not equipped to use technology in the classroom. I also would like to get across to my stuidents, that if I have not approved a website for them to access, they are not allowed to go on it. The only sites they are able to access are the ones I have posted in the classroom for them, and it is for their safety.
I plan to use the chart of resources and content by grade level in my classroom to help provide my students with appropriate digital experiences, especially through Brainpop and Discovery Education (which we use everyday!)
I think I would teach my students the difference between good digital citizenship and bad citizenship by giving them examples of each and having them explain to me if it is a good or bad type of digital citizenship.
For my students parents I would basically ask them what they think good digital citizenship means and how they would implement it into their home lives.

Tool#11:

I really like the Wallwisher! I feel that could be used over and over as an assessment for anything in the curriculum over the year. I feel that is would be very easy for the students to use and they would enjoy giving me feedback!
Clearly I have always felt that technology is a big factor in each child's learning and I still feel that way! I feel that without some sort of technology being used within a lesson, the students will just get bored. When you use technology it is like an opposite effect! They just love it! The only changes I need to make within my classroom is making the time to teach my students how to use all the different resources this training has had to offer.
From this traning I was expecting to learn more about how to implement technology into the children's everyday learning!

1 comment:

  1. Take a few tools and work them into your instructional program. Then, as time permits, come back and work with a few more! Most important of all, be that life-long learner that we want all our students to be. Really cultivate your PLN! That is how you will continue to grow!

    ReplyDelete